Discover ENGIE activities in Saudi Arabia
ENGIE is active in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) through three businesses: power generation, sea water desalination, and energy services. Since 2000, ENGIE has developed in the country and is established as one of the largest independent power and water producers.
Power generation and seawater desalination
ENGIE is co-owner and operator of a production of electricity and desalinated sea water plant and two electricity generation plants : Marafiq (IWPP - Independant Water and Power Producer)Tihama and Riyadh (IPP – Independant Power Producer). With nearly 5.5 GW of power generation capacity, and a seawater desalination capacity of over 800 000 m³ per day, the Group is helping the country cope with the growing demand for electricity (6% per year by 2020). ENGIE plans to develop 30 GW of new installed capacity in the country and studying development opportunities in conventional energy sectors, renewable and nuclear.
- MARAFIQ (IWPP - Independant Water and Power Producer)The Marafiq site is equipped with a combined cycle gas power plant and a water desalination plant. It has a production capacity of 2744 MW of electricity and 800,000 cubic meters of water per day. ENGIE (20%) and its partners Gulf Investment Corporation and Arabian Company for Water & Power Projects (ACWA) hold 60% of the installation, the remaining 40% is held by Marafiq, Saudi Electricity Company and the public investment fund. Electricity and water generation of these units, is sold under a single contract with a wholly owned subsidiary of Marafiq. The facility is fully operational since 2010 and is currently ranked as one of the largest in the world.
- RIYADH (IPP – Independant Power Producer) The site is owned by the joint venture Dhuruma Electricity Company, grouping Saudi Electricity Company (50%), ENGIE (20%), Aljomaih Holding Co. (15%) and Sojitz Corporation (15%). The production of this greenfield gas power plant, with a capacity of 1730 MW, is sold since 2013 to Saudi Electricity through a power purchase agreement for 20 years. The plant
- TIHAMA (IPP – Independant Power Producer)This gas cogeneration plant, with a capacity of 1 595 MW and 8 112 Gj/h (gigajoule per hour) of steam, spread over three sites, is owned by ENGIE (60%) and Saudi Oger (40%). The plant is fully operational since 2006 and is operated via a BOOT contract (build, own, operate, transfer) for a 20 years period, with Saudi Aramco (the state oil company).
- ENGIE Tractebel, active in Saudi Arabia since 2004, ENGIE Tractebel has signed several contracts as a consultants, with Transmission System Operator (TSO) and Saudi Electricity Co, to revise the protection systems of the Saudi Arabia network. The Group also provides engineering services to the TIHAMA plant and advice GCC Interconnection Authroity (GCCIA) and KA-CARE for the integration of renewable energies into the country power grid.
- ENGIE AXIMA, prepares the building of a local subsidiary in Saudi Arabia to develop services contracts in the field of heating and cooling systems. The subsidiary is particularly interested in taking part in major infrastructure development programs, industrial buildings, tunnels, and hospitals.
ENGIE INEO E & S and Cofely Defence prospect market opportunities for the outsourcing of large infrastructures (road, air, and defense).
COFELY BESIXprospects to exercise its expertise in the field of energy efficiency. The average energy consumption in the country is almost twice the average consumption in the world. The savings and rationalization of consumption could save up 30% of energy.
ENDEL ENGIE is specialized in technical equipment installation and maintenance in filed of oil, gas, petrochemical, marine and nuclear industries. The subsidiary is currently in charge of warships maintenance in the frame of the DNCS project.
To sum up:
- 800,000 meters3 of seawater are desalinated every day by ENGIE
- The growing demand for electricity (6% per year by 2020)
- Power generation will double by 2030 
- 5th world's largest reserves of natural gas